Sunday, November 04, 2012

Identity in America

Although I grew up in Washington state, I have identified with San Francisco since I was in little league listening to Giants baseball. I even wore a SF ball cap and had Willie Mays/Willie McCovey playing cards. Later, as a teenager, I visited the Filmore Auditorium, a mecca of psychedelic rock music.

As an adult, I returned to make my claim on the birthplace of the American Indian Movement and The Grateful Dead. Then, as a scholar at New College in the SF Mission District, I became friends with Harry Britt, Harvey Milk's right hand man during the hay day of Gay Liberation.


At the Mill Valley film festival, when I was living in Blithedale Canyon, I bumped into Joan Baez and Yoko Ono. Identity in America is an interesting phenomenon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home